Backend Engineer at Airtable
Part spreadsheet, part database, and entirely flexible, teams use Airtable to organize their work, their way.
- Job title
- Backend Engineer
- Job listing last updated at
- Dec 9, 2019
- Job listing location
- San Francisco
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
Airtable’s backend presents many unique challenges and opportunities for designing and architecting complex systems. Our purpose-built relational database engine supports realtime synchronization between different users, revision history, a type system, and an engine that supports formulas and dependencies/constraints.
As a backend engineer you'll contribute to the database engine and formula engine that power Airtable bases. Unlike single-purpose apps, we think of Airtable as a horizontal toolkit composed of intuitive building blocks that people can repurpose to create their own applications. Our product roadmap is filled with interesting enhancements and additions to this toolkit that greatly expand the boundaries of Airtable's capabilities.
What you'll do
- Architect and scale complex systems like our realtime database engine, revision history, and formula engine.
- Design core pieces of Airtable’s infrastructure, optimizing for long-term maintainability, performance, and reliability.
- Build and scale systems for monitoring, tracing, profiling, debugging, and deploying Airtable.
- Take full ownership and responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core Airtable features, end-to-end.
Who you are
- You have experience in databases, distributed systems, and backend performance measurement and optimization.
- You derive joy from refactoring and abstracting in order to make complex systems fun to develop on and easy to understand.
- You have a strong background in computer science and mathematics.
What we offer
- Health care: we have you 100% covered (and your dependents 50% covered) with competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance. You'll also be eligible for a complimentary membership to One Medical Group
- Learning & Development: we offer a $2,000 per year stipend for your personal career development
- Gym Membership: we’re proud to provide employees in our San Francisco and New York offices with complimentary gym memberships to Equinox, or up to $100/month reimbursement towards any other gym
- Catered lunches: we have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens. We'll also reimburse you for any reasonable food expenses incurred while working
- Generous PTO, sick leave, and parental leave
Airtable's mission is to democratize software creation, similar to the way the Macintosh democratized personal computing. Software is arguably the most important creative medium of the last century, yet most people cannot build their own software. Airtable gives people and companies a “lego kit” they can use to create custom applications on their own, regardless of technical experience.
We’ve raised $170M in venture funding, including most recently a 100M Series C from Benchmark, Thrive, and Coatue.