Brand Design Lead at Slack
When your team needs to kick off a project, hire a new employee, deploy some code, review a sales contract, finalize next year's budget, measure an A/B test, plan your next office opening, and more, Slack has you covered.
- Job title
- Brand Design Lead
- Job listing last updated at
- Jul 10, 2019
- Job listing location
- San Francisco
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
The Design Lead is responsible for strategically important projects and driving the brand vision and execution. You will bring the Slack brand to life and will work in partnership with marketing to ensure the brand is communicated thoughtfully and impactfully across mediums. You will coordinate resources and be a key point of contact for high-level stakeholders, external agencies, and contractors. This Brand Design meet with internal departments to discuss and establish project objectives, and lead design from the initial planning stages through completion with little oversight.
To succeed, you should be a creative multitasker with the ability to lead by example and consistently inspire the team to create captivating and compelling design solutions. You are collaborative and flexible, willing to dive into any challenge and help the entire team level up their work. You should be inspirational, perceptive, and detail-oriented with a great mind for conceptual thinking and realizing the vision of the project at hand.
Responsibilities / What you will be doing:
- Drive the design vision and strategy for high-visibility projects such as creating innovative design solutions for new product feature launches, establishing the look and feel for our developer community, defining how Slack shows up at the field events and solidifying the final phase of our rebrand
- Thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Be a thoughtful and articulate advocate for the brand within Slack and an ambassador for Slack in the creative community (e.g. by spearheading design events at Slack and/or cultivating our online presence)
- Collaborate and ideate with designers and cross-functional partners to maintain and build upon visual brand standards for a wide range of design needs
- Art direct and mentor designers on the team, creating a strong sense of purpose and community, and promoting a culture of design excellence
- Set goals, provide updates and solicit feedback on your projects from your team and your stakeholders
- Present to cross-functional partners both inside and outside of marketing, including to all levels of leadership through to C level
- Stay on top of the competitive design landscape to better understand brand objectives, target markets, and industry trends and share these insights with the team
- Troubleshoot project or process problems as they arise and initiate improvements to design, collaboration, and efficiency processes as needed
- 8+ years of visual design experience, with previous leadership experience
- An exceptional portfolio, showcasing strong typography, visual design, and brand system implementation
- Strong conceptual, creative and critical thinking, with a knack for visual story-telling
- High level of accountability and motivation
- Strong interpersonal skills, time and project management, presentation, leadership, and communication skills
- Ability to delegate and collaborate with team members, contractors, agencies, or other external vendors
- Prioritization of business needs and an understanding of how to lead internal priorities/constraints
- Receptiveness to receiving feedback and thoughtfulness and clear articulation around delivering feedback
- Flexibility and quick thinking for times when projects change, timelines shift, or scopes vary. Knowledge around how to navigate these situations and ability to mitigate issues as they arise
- Maintain a high-bar for creative quality for yourself and others while pushing to find the best solution to meet company goals
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.