Community Manager at MasterClass
Online classes taught by the world's greatest minds.
- Job title
- Community Manager
- Job listing last updated at
- Jun 13, 2019
- Job listing location
- San Francisco, CA
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to democratize education.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco and have created online classes taught by famous masters—Gordon Ramsay, Hans Zimmer, Werner Herzog, Serena Williams, James Patterson, Annie Leibovitz, Usher, Christina Aguilera and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we are growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
About the role:
Do you want to help redefine what an online community is? We are looking for an experienced community manager to join our community team. We need your help to shape student forums that transcend the passive e-learning models popular today. You regularly start thoughtful discussions.
MasterClass is a well funded VC-funded startup, based in San Francisco that is re-imagining online education. We want it to be possible for anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are creating online classes taught by famous masters—legendary A-list actors, hall-of-fame athletes, literary geniuses, celebrated fine artists, and many more. The classes combine consumable video content, interactive assignments, and social interaction with the MasterClass community and the masters themselves.
What we are looking for:
- Passion for building an online community and education platform
- Exceptional written and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, work ethic, and ability to take on projects with little oversight
- Willingness to drive into new subject areas and become an expert -- never ending curiosity
- Ability to start thoughtful discussion
- Ability to take an analytical approach to problem solving
- Experience contributing to product decisions and improvements.
- Some copywriting experience
- Understanding of how product, marketing and customer support affect the user experience
Responsibilities of the role:
- Create a strategic vision for the online community
- Execute projects and initiatives that focus on building a strong and growing user community
- Grow and lead a team of community builders and contractors to enhance the customer experience on the community platform
- Facilitate thoughtful discussions with students to enhance their education experiences
- Identify trending and engaging topics in the community to help direct upcoming programs
- Respond to students’ concerns quickly and professionally
- Moderate online student community forums
- Develop high-level community management strategies to implement across the team
- Manage power user program for highly engaged community members
- Collect user feedback and functionality issues and communicate it to the product team
- Report on the quality of each class’ community and areas for improvement
- Work with content team to continually improve existing class material and educational opportunities
- Work with the marketing team to translate the brand strategy into direct communication with users
- Advocate for our users across the company
- Identify amazing student work and create new ways to showcase it to the team and externally
- Experience building online communities and leading community programs
- Experience with CRMS, email service providers
- Experience with data driven decision making and working with product analytics platforms (Amplitude, Google Analytics, etc)
- Experience with HTML coding, SQL, and Zendesk a plus
- Experience leading an online community team
- 3+ years in a community management role or relevant work experience
- Excited to work with a small interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.