Data Scientist | Planning & Algorithm Controller at Stitch Fix
Try the personal styling service for everyone! No matter your age, size or budget we’ve got styles for you.
- Job title
- Data Scientist | Planning & Algorithm Controller
- Job listing last updated at
- Feb 14, 2020
- Job listing location
- San Francisco, CA
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
Data Scientist - Planning & Algorithm Controller Team
About the Team
Join the most empowered data science team around! With a bottom-up work culture and amazing leadership, you’ll be surprised how much your own voice impacts the business and influences decisions made up to the VP level. Our Planning & Algorithm Controller team in particular makes sure that the company has the right amount of inventory at the right time in the right location to delight our clients. In particular, we jointly optimize all key Stitch Fix inventory capabilities together to drive sustainable top-line growth for the business. We continuously collaborate with business partners across the Women's, Men's and Kids' clothing teams, as well as with the Operations Team, the Algorithm Team and VPs across the company for wider and deeper impact.
About the Role
Create, assemble and integrate inventory capabilities into an engine to enact inventory strategies that drive sustainable growth. Identify the most important constraints and objectives over all inventory capabilities and jointly optimize them to improve revenue, unique active users and margins. Research new inventory constructs that deliver improvements that can be leveraged to motivate the development of new inventory capabilities. Collaborate with business partners in order to run inventory optimization strategies across all departments of the company. Maintain fast runtimes for optimization code to promote interactive use cases, and maintain and improve the reliability of our code through standard software engineering practices.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Have high levels of autonomy and impact in your work
- Have autonomy and impact in your work thanks to our bottom-up culture and a Chief Algorithm Officer reporting at the C level
- Create and test new ways to combine inventory capabilities together to drive sustainable growth
- Collaborate with cross-functional business partners to determine goals, objectives and KPIs to drive deeper impact
- Create and implement service level agreements with the broader inventory optimization team in order to best fulfill business objectives
- Continue to grow your skill set through our great company wide development programs in communication and culture, as well as technical programs within the algorithms team
We’re excited about you because…
- You have a Master's or PhD in a quantitative field such as Math, Operations Research, Physics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Economics, Finance, Computer Science
- 2-4 years of work experience, with 6 months close to software engineering, and 1 year of data science experience setting project goals, objectives and KPIs
- You have a bias toward action
- You have strong cross-functional, communication skills that help simplify and move complex problems forward with business partners
- You have strong standards for software engineering practices such as implementing automated unit tests, are familiar with Computer Science algorithm fundamentals like runtime complexity
- You have a strong understanding of statistics
- You’re proficient in machine learning modeling geared toward impact
- You have production data science experience, where you have been responsible for performance and reliability in production
Why you’ll love working at Stitch Fix...
- We are a group of bright, kind and goal oriented people. You can be your authentic self here, and are empowered to encourage others to do the same!
- We are a successful, fast-growing company at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining retail for the next generation
- We are a technologically and data-driven business
- We are committed to our clients and connected through our vision of “Transforming the way people find what they love”
- We love solving problems, thinking creatively and trying new things
- We believe in autonomy & taking initiative
- We are challenged, developed and have meaningful impact
- We take what we do seriously. We don’t take ourselves seriously
- We have a smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas
- We offer competitive compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits
- You will be proud to say that you work for Stitch Fix and will know that the work you do brings joy to our clients every day
At Stitch Fix, our data science team combines machine learning with expert human judgment to generate innovative recommendations and insights that transform the way our clients discover what they love. We believe in a curiosity-driven data science culture where members have autonomy to deliver impact through end-to-end, full-stack product development and ownership. The diversity of the problems that we work on and the data-rich environment of our business make it possible, even essential, to bring the tools of multiple disciplines to bear on our hardest problems. As a $2B+ company, our growing international business is looking for data scientists and leaders to join us in the revolutionization of retail.
About Stitch Fix
Stitch Fix is an online personal style service for men and women combining art and science to disrupt and redefine the retail industry. We’re the first fashion retailer to blend expert styling, proprietary technology and unique product to deliver a refined and deeply personalized shopping experience. We leverage vast amounts of client data to make decisions throughout the company. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our customers and a successful, growing business. We believe we are only scratching the surface of our opportunity; and we’re looking for incredible people to contribute! We’d love for you to help us carry on the trend.