Database Engineer at 23andMe
Discover what 125+ personalized reports have to say about your ancestry, health, traits and more.
- Job title
- Database Engineer
- Job listing last updated at
- Jun 17, 2019
- Job listing location
- Mountain View
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
Are you a passionate and motivated Database Engineer looking to join a growing team of Database Administrators? In this newly crafted role, you will be supporting both legacy databases running on physical servers in a colo and newer databases running in Amazon Web Services (AWS). You will be a key player of the team that migrates our legacy databases into AWS.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- You will deploy, maintain, and monitor MySQL server instances in physical and virtual environments
- You will develop and maintain replication, backup, and disaster recovery strategies
- You will be responsible for ensuring security, privacy, and data integrity in all MySQL environments
- Optimize and tune MySQL server performance
- Improve monitoring and perform database capacity and usage planning
- Write and maintain tools to automate tasks and database operation
- Perform routine scheduled and occasionally un-scheduled maintenance
- Implement, document, and maintain database practice
What you'll bring
- Expertise knowledge of SQL
- Minimum of 5 years working experience with a B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent/related field
- Minimum of 3 years of MySQL administration in a production OLTP environment
- Experience with AWS RDS services
- Strong knowledge of MySQL performance tuning
- Practical knowledge of MySQL storage engine locking and experience with multiple engines including InnoDB and MyISAM
- Experience configuring and fixing MySQL replication
- Experience with database backup, restoration, and DR planning and execution
- Experience with at least one major scripting language (Python preferred)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage priorities in a fast paced environment
- Previous 24x7 experience
- Familiarity with Oracle 12CR1R2 and Oracle Golden Gate, AWS Redshift, AWS EMR
- Knowledge of genetics and/or genetic testing industry
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance requirements
- MySQL Certification
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.