Frontend Engineer, Design Systems at Flexport
Flexport moves freight globally by air, ocean, rail, and truck for the world's leading brands. We combine powerful software and dedicated experts to give you accountability, peace of mind, and control over your supply chain.
- Job title
- Frontend Engineer, Design Systems
- Job listing last updated at
- Jul 11, 2019
- Job listing location
- San Francisco, CA
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator.
With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
Design Systems at Flexport
Flexport’s design system, Latitude, powers our design and product development processes. On the design systems team, you’ll build and implement components and UI that’s used by every team at Flexport. You’ll work closely with our designers and engineers to implement high quality UI and ensure our components and patterns are well-documented and maintained. Our team members are evangelists for our best practices—our design system’s success depends on widespread adoption. You’ll work with product teams to ensure our design system can support the next generation of products at Flexport.
Frontend Engineering at Flexport
Frontend engineers at Flexport collaborate with design, research, and product to build elegant and performant user experiences. Our ratio of engineers to designers is very healthy which creates tight collaboration across our product teams. We aspire to contribute to open source with many of our learnings. Examples include:
We are building a platform that can scale to best-in-industry trading volumes, and you will be responsible for building the products and tools that will help us get there. If this sounds exciting to you, please reach out!
- Create frontend components to automate freight forwarding
- Help evolve the frontend infrastructure and architecture
- Collaborate with design, research, and product to build an elegant and performant UX
- Build a highly interactive product to track shipments around the world
What you’ll build:
- Figure out the most efficient way to pack our 747 freighter.
- Determine, in real time, the cost to move freight between any two points in the world.
- Automate archaic filing processes and save the operations team thousands of phone calls per week.
- Manage and track fleets of trucks as they pick up and deliver cargo.
- Deliver supply chain insights to logistics teams via a world-class analytics experience.
- Predict capacity on container ships and match cargo to space on those ships.
- Bring trade to everyone in the world.
You should have:
- Strong knowledge of one of the modern JS frameworks (React, Vue, Angular2, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of CSS
- Systematic thinker (consider how components can scale across our teams)
- Strength in cross-functional collaboration with design, product, and business
What you’ve worked with ideally
- Design systems
- Experience with front-end test frameworks (Jest)
- Experience with front-end build/deployment process (Webpack, Babel)
Bonus points if you’ve worked with
- Web performance (time-to-interactive, dependencies, wasted renders)
Our continuous releases are integrated with Travis CI and Github. On the frontend, we use React for the views, organize the data flow with Flux architecture, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we're a Rails shop riding on AWS and Postgres RDS. Our staging server infrastructure is written in Python.
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.