Full Time Schedule: Tues-Sat or Sun-Thur, 3pm - Midnight Coverage
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
At Invitae, we have highly automated labs that process samples 7 days a week. To sustain volume growth and maintain high caliber instrument reliability, we are hiring an Automation Support Engineer to join the operations team. The key responsibility of the Automation Support Engineer is to provide support to the clinical lab automation and processes. The work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multiple tasks, and prioritize time sensitive tasks.
This role requires on-site work at our San Francisco location, a day of weekend shift (Sunday through Thursday or Tuesday through Saturday), along with being flexible for shift coverages that range from a 6:30am morning start, to a late shift ending at midnight.
What you will do:
- Provide prompt troubleshooting support to laboratory operations and escalate situations as needed to subject matter experts in, computing, automation, and laboratory processing
- Support laboratory processes by troubleshooting errors related, but not limited to laboratory robotics and LIMS communication
- Work independently and collaboratively with lab staff and various functional groups in troubleshooting efforts, addressing or reporting any issues that may adversely affect the quality of test results
- Support and perform various periodic maintenance tasks for automated equipment, along with performance and qualification checks after vendor equipment work
- Perform IQ, OQ and PQ documentation for bringing in new instrumentation to the lab
- Coordinate and communicate with equipment vendors to allow for on-site preventative maintenance and repairs
- Work with development engineers to optimize and test automated system for release to production
- Plan, execute and document IOPQ activities for new laboratory equipment
- Document and report consistent robotics issues to the development team for process improvement
What you will bring:
- B.A. degree in a lab applicable discipline; with laboratory experience, preferably in a molecular biology lab under regulatory regimes such as ISO, GMP, CLIA, CAP, or FDA
- Preferred 1+ years of experience with laboratory automation, equipment support, field service engineering, or a similar role in a high throughput laboratory
- Demonstrated proficiency in laboratory automation instrumentation; experience with robotic liquid handling systems (Hamilton STAR/ STARlet/ Vantage/ Verso, Agilent Bravo, Tecan Evo, Dynamic Devices Lynx, etc.), with formal preventative maintenance training being a highly valued skill
- Experience with Hamilton Venus, PAA Overlord, and Biosero GreenButtonGo softwares being a highly valued skill
- Strong organizational skills, as well as written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to learn and support special improvement projects with development automation and sample processing
- Ability to triage and prioritize multiple tasks in a laboratory setting
- Preferred Experience: basic programming skills; ability to follow programming logics and understand pseudo-code
- A customer service attitude and a personality that allows you to derive personal satisfaction from helping others
- Previous experience with Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Experience with sample tracking through LIMS and resolving subsequent sample data issues that arise from automation related errors
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.