Manager, Software Engineering at Cloudbees
We’re Building the World’s First End-to-End Continuous Software Delivery System
- Job title
- Manager, Software Engineering
- Job listing last updated at
- Feb 22, 2020
- Job listing location
- San Jose, CA
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
Our Customers Develop Software at the Speed of Ideas
CloudBees is the hub of enterprise Jenkins and DevOps, providing companies with smarter solutions for comprehensively managing software delivery as a differentiating and core part of the business.
CloudBees is a globally distributed company with more than 500 employees in over 15 countries working together to invent a new category of software - one that automates the delivery of software. As every company in the world is becoming a software company, and as software delivery practices evolve from slow, infrequent releases toward continuous delivery supported by CI/CD, DevOps practices, and the cloud, this new software category will become the most mission critical new business system in the modern enterprise. CloudBees is enabling organizations to successfully adopt a whole product approach to creating value through software.
CloudBees was founded in 2010 by FOSS veterans from JBoss and RedHat and became the home of Enterprise Jenkins when they joined forces with Kohsuke Kawaguchi, CloudBees’ CTO today and the inventor of Jenkins. Jenkins is the world’s most widely deployed, flexible and capable CI/CD software platform, with 200,000 known installations and a vibrant ecosystem of over 1,500 plugins and an estimated 20 million developers using Jenkins.
The CloudBees product and engineering organization includes some of the world’s most respected contributors to the tools, languages and practices behind modern software development. Because CloudBees is a fully distributed company, it’s also been able to draw on a global talent pool and maintain a very high bar for intellect, technical skill and work culture. Nearly every Bee has chosen to work at CloudBees because of a personal conviction of the transformative power of continuous delivery practices in every function in software development, and every Bee has been actively chosen for being amongst the best at what they do in the world. This leads to a sense of shared mission and mutual respect that makes CloudBees a truly special place to work.
In our current expansion of the product and engineering organization, we are seeking both to augment our world-class team with some key additional roles that are new and required for our next phase, as well as additional capacity in roles that are already well established at the company. No matter what you do in and around software development, if you believe in continuous delivery and you are world class at what you do, there is likely a role for you.
Why This Position?
This specific opening for an engineering management role was created because of our growth in product offerings, greater velocity of new feature delivery and customer communications. We recognize that a skilled engineering management leader with experience working in other organizations that have gone through rapid growth can have a transformative impact on the success of our product initiatives in the market.
What You’ll Do
- Own the execution and delivery of backend team engineering projects
- Establish and execute on goals for the engineering team by becoming a trusted leader and advisor
- Plan and lead Agile Sprints and other ceremonies for a high growth/high performance engineering team
- Focus on hiring and retaining top talent for your team
- Work closely with your peers in the engineering to coordinate activities related to new product and feature delivery across the product, field and marketing organizations
- Ensure that new products and features are successfully launched into the market and achieve their goals for awareness, adoption and revenue
- Continuously communicate status and plans for new product/feature delivery and GTM activities across the organizations
- Identify and drive resolution of roadblocks and issues that impact the success of new product and feature delivery
- Provide leadership for a high-performing software engineering team by:
- Performance appraisal and feedback
- Setting goals and establishing metrics and accountability
- Coaching and mentoring
- Career growth guidance/assistance
- Recruiting and hiring engineers
- Facilitation of knowledge and expertise sharing among team members
- Mediation and conflict resolution
- Advocate for needs and concerns of team members
What The Role Requires
- Demonstrated success in leading 10 or more people, including remote engineers, in enterprise software. Preferably in a Tech Lead or Manager capacity
- Prior hands-on experience writing Java code and doing code reviews
- 5+ years of experience developing distributed, multi threaded Java applications
- Deep knowledge of Java Core and solid experience with Spring and Hibernate frameworks is a big plus
- Hands on experience with cloud native continuous delivery tools.
- Familiarity with modern software development practices including agile, DevOps, and continuous delivery, open-source
- Experience in coordinating activities across all software functions including engineering, product management, product marketing, support, etc.
- Proficiency with Software Development practices, Java, Cloud, Kubernetes, Jira, etc.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Talent for leading through influence and inspiring high achievement
What You’ll Get
- Highly competitive benefits and vacation package
- Ability to work for one of the fastest growing companies with some of the most talented people in the industry
- High-functioning remote-first culture with a diverse team of co-workers located around the world
- Fun, Hardworking, and Casual Environment
- Endless Growth Opportunities
At CloudBees, we truly believe that the more diverse we are, the better we serve our customers. A global community like Jenkins demands a global focus from CloudBees. Organizations with greater diversity—gender, racial, ethnic, and global—are stronger partners to their customers. Whether by creating more innovative products, or better understanding our worldwide customers, or establishing a stronger cross-section of cultural leadership skills, diversity strengthens all aspects of the CloudBees organization.
In the technology industry, diversity creates a competitive advantage. CloudBees customers demand technologies from us that solve their software development, and therefore their business problems, so that they can better serve their own customers. CloudBees attributes much of its success to its worldwide work force and commitment to global diversity, which opens our proprietary software to innovative ideas from anywhere. Along the way, we have witnessed firsthand how employees, partners, and customers with diverse perspectives and experiences contribute to creative problem solving and better solutions for our customers and their businesses.