Scientist - Biology at 23andMe
Discover what 125+ personalized reports have to say about your ancestry, health, traits and more.
- Job title
- Scientist - Biology
- Job listing last updated at
- Jun 5, 2019
- Job listing location
- South San Francisco, California
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team uses this data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat important diseases. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking an outstanding Scientist to join a collaborative team responsible for the biological characterization of drug targets and the preclinical development of drug compounds. Successful candidates will bring experience applying molecular and cell biology approaches to elucidate target protein function and drug mechanism of action.
What you’ll do
- Lead experimental investigation of the biological function of drug targets in multiple therapeutic areas
- Hands-on development and execution of biochemical and cell-based assays to assess drug mechanism of action and measure drug activity and potency
- Hands-on development of core technical capabilities within therapeutic focus areas
- Contribute to genetics-based evaluation of drug targets and initiation of new drug discovery programs
- Potential for project leadership of preclinical drug development programs
- Supervise one or more scientific researchers
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. in biological sciences
- Minimum of 5 years' post-PhD experience in basic research or drug discovery. Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience is a plus.
- Exceptional laboratory skills, with demonstrated proficiency in the development and execution of preclinical drug development assays and models
- Strong working knowledge in immunology and/or deep knowledge in at least one therapeutic area
- Proven track record via high quality publications and/or patent applications
- Experience with leading focused teams or cross-disciplinary program teams
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organizational and leadership skills with an ability to work both independently and in a team environment
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.