Senior Firmware Engineer at JUUL Labs
Our mission is to improve the lives of the world's one billion adult smokers. Shop vaporizers and JUULpods on the official JUUL website.
- Job title
- Senior Firmware Engineer
- Job listing last updated at
- Feb 24, 2020
- Job listing location
- San Francisco, California, United States
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
JUUL Labs’ mission is to impact the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating combustible cigarettes. We have the opportunity to address one of the world’s most intractable challenges through a commitment to exceptional quality, research, design, and innovation. Backed by leading technology investors, we are committed to the same excellence when it comes to hiring great talent.
We are a diverse team that is united by this common purpose and we are hiring the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product managers, operations experts, and customer service and business professionals. If the opportunity to build your career at one of the fastest growing companies is compelling, read on for more details.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is a hands-on role requiring a thorough study and understanding of existing designs, in order to apply innovative engineering principles towards re-design and optimization. Additionally, the position works with new product development teams to support high-value engineering activities. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to work effectively with peers and management alike in a high-paced global environment. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. Cross-functional communication skills and experience are essential. The Firmware Engineer will interact with all engineering design disciplines plus reliability, manufacturing, component engineering, and other resources inside and outside Juul Labs. We are looking for a highly motivated and talented individual who will be responsible for re-designing and optimizing high-quality embedded code that will bring these hardware products to the next level.
- Maintaining communication within the development team.
- Maintaining project schedules.
- Cross-functional organization, communication, and management.
- Creating meetings and documenting action items and progress.
- Travel to support manufacturing builds.
- Reporting and presenting to senior management on project status and schedules
- Create, modify, and update code for new and existing products.
- Provide test fixture support for manufacturing, QA, and contract manufacturers.
- Troubleshoot product failures on PCBs, power supplies, and electromechanical assemblies.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant Firmware optimization experience in one or more of the following areas: product design, new product release, test engineering, manufacturing support.
- Previous experience with medical devices or other regulated products is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow.
- Experience with embedded microcontrollers and low power devices.
- Firmware design and troubleshooting.
- Ability to multi-task or focus on detailed problems, and tenacity to drive issues until resolved.
- Software Experience - C is a must; Python is a plus.
Other requirements or beneficial knowledge:
- BLE (beneficial)
- Real-time Operating System (RTOS) (beneficial)
- Understanding of serial communication protocols I2C, SPI, UART (required)
- Working with EE to bring up a PCB (required)
- Experience with sensors or other ICs communicating over SPI and/or I2C
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field. Associate’s degree with significant experience will be considered. Master’s degree is a plus.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
JUUL Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment for all employees and job applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. JUUL Labs also complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for JUUL Labs in the US.