Senior Internal Controls Analyst at Sonder
Introducing an entirely new way to stay in your favorite neighborhoods around the world.
- Job title
- Senior Internal Controls Analyst
- Job listing last updated at
- Feb 14, 2020
- Job listing location
- San Francisco, CA
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
With thousands of beautiful spaces built for travel and life, Sonder is transforming the future of hospitality. Each Sonder is purposefully selected, designed and maintained - customized to reflect the vibe of its neighborhood. Whether your stay is two days, two months or two years, in a studio or a six-bedroom, Sonder ensures a unique, yet consistent experience. And with 24/7 on-demand service, crisp linens, and over 200 other quality standards, we’re taking stay further for guests all around the world.
Sonder started a little over four years ago, and now has thousands of spaces in cities across the globe.
As a member of the Finance organization, you know your accounting principles and the full accounting process end-to-end. Reporting to the Director, Internal Controls, the Senior Analyst is a key member of the Internal Controls team, and will work to design and maintain an effective and scalable internal control environment, identify areas of risk, promote recommendations on controls, execute testing, and influence changes and decisions. In this role, the Senior Analyst will utilize his functional and technical background in internal controls, SOX and compliance for driving our governance and controls strategy.
Every day is a new challenge, and you're continually looking for ways to help our team get better at what we do, in the most efficient way possible. A team player at heart, you collaborate with our global team, advocate best practices and roll up your sleeves to pitch in when it's all hands on deck. You move fast while keeping your attention to detail, and you tap into your problem-solving skills to support Sonder's growth objectives.
AT SONDER YOU WILL:
- Assist with the management compliance of Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR) program and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements, particularly entity-level controls, business controls and also for IT general controls, application controls and information produced by entity (IPE).
- Ensure risk assessment and control frameworks are in place, running effectively and efficiently, and design and execute control testing to address audit assertions.
- Partner with various teams to define and communicate methodology and determine process scoping, control objectives, testing approach, deficiency evaluation, and conclusion.
- Interpret the significance of control audit findings, draw analytical conclusions from audit data, and promote recommendations while establishing partnerships with teams to ensure consistency in controls across our global entities.
- Report results of findings to Finance leadership.
- Establish and communicate standardized practices with international offices and corporate functions throughout the company.
- Assess new processes, or changes to existing processes to identify financial and operational risks before launch, providing recommendations for improvement.
- Document updates to financial controls and processes; ensure accounting system changes/updates and other process improvement efforts adequately address Internal Controls.
- Provide ongoing training on internal controls; ensure that internal business and operational personnel understand their roles and responsibilities as related to internal controls.
- Execute special projects as directed by the CFO.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance related fields, or equivalent practical experience. Prefer certification in Auditing (CIA, CISA, or CPA).
- 4+ years of experience in Accounting or Auditing.
- Experience working with ICFR and SOX compliance from a Finance and/or IT perspective.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Master's degree, or MBA a plus.
- Preference for accounting experience with public accounting firms or public companies.
- Experience working for a startup that went public is an asset.
- Experience in multi unit/retail or ecommerce industry is relevant. Travel/Hospitality industry experience preferred.
- Experience with NetSuite ERP system.
- Experience providing data supported insights to identify pain points and optimize, automate, and scale processes.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of departments and levels of management.
- Experience with querying (e.g., SQL) is a plus.
We also have great benefits to make your life easier so you can focus on what you're best at:
- Competitive salary
- Generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Annual free credits and discounts to stay in Sonders
- A company with a huge vision, a dynamic work environment, and a team of smart, ambitious and fun to work with colleagues
Depending on your location:
- Daily catered lunches
- All the coffee you can imagine
- Snack-filled kitchen
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or other protected classes.