Software Engineer - Infrastructure at Clever
Clever makes it easy to use technology in the classroom
- Job title
- Software Engineer - Infrastructure
- Job listing last updated at
- Nov 21, 2019
- Job listing location
- San Francisco, CA
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
As an engineer on the Infrastructure team at Clever, you’ll build the tools that help other teams deploy and monitor their applications. We focus on making engineering at Clever fast, fun, simple, and safe-by-default. We own the control planes for CI/CD, logging, metrics, execution (e.g.. container orchestration, serverless), data storage, and load testing.
The story of educational technology is one of unfulfilled promise. There are many great educational software products on the market, but it’s tough for developers to get them working in schools, and even tougher for schools to manage and evaluate them. We’re trying to fix that.
When we started six years ago, four schools used Clever. Today, Clever is used by more than half of all K-12 schools in America (over 60,000), making it the fastest-growing company in education. We are trusted by 90% of the top 100 school districts across the US, and more than three million students use Clever every day to log in to their online learning software. We're looking for talented engineers who want to help us build Clever into something every school, student, and teacher relies on.
A Day in the Life
As an engineer on the Infrastructure team at Clever, you'll have autonomy plus the support of a dedicated and fast-moving team to solve tough problems like:
- How to bring the best developer tools to Clever, whether they’re home-grown or industry standards
- Improving the ecosystem for our microservice and container-based architecture
- Ways to make spinning up a new service at Clever with all the bells and whistles as easy as running a single command
- Supporting teams running multiple application types including web front-ends, REST APIs, asynchronous workers, and serverless event handlers
We code with Go, define infrastructure with CloudFormation, and build on a wide range of AWS services including ECS, Step Functions, Lambda, Kinesis, and DynamoDB. For a sense of how we think about our mission as the infrastructure team, you can see this talk from our PM, Mohit Gupta, about Designing Infrastructure for Rapid Iteration.
Things We’re Looking For
We’re hiring software engineers at all experience levels.
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- Strong fundamentals in computer science and software engineering
- The drive to learn and teach through collaboration and code reviews
- Excellent communication skills
- A desire to work in a diverse, highly collaborative team environment
Experience with any of the tools we use is a plus.
What Clever offers
- A chance to revolutionize the way schools use technology
- Competitive salary and significant equity in well-funded, high-growth company
- Catered lunch daily
- Generous vacation and holidays
- Top-notch healthcare, vision, & dental coverage
- Unlimited amazon.com credits for learning
- An incredible team of fun, bright coworkers