Software Engineer, Robotics - Localization and Mapping at Postmates
Postmates powers local, on-demand logistics focused on fast deliveries from any type of merchant at scale.
- Job title
- Software Engineer, Robotics - Localization and Mapping
- Job listing last updated at
- Apr 23, 2019
- Job listing location
- San Francisco
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
At Postmates X, we are reimagining how things move in cities. Serve, our personable sidewalk delivery robot, is our vision for the future of delivery. It’s designed to take deliveries away from congested streets and onto underutilized alleys and sidewalks, to save energy, reduce emissions, reduce traffic, and make deliveries faster and cheaper. Why move two-pound burritos with two-ton cars?
Serve has been years in the making and has already done thousands of customer deliveries.
WHO ARE WE?
We are tech industry veterans in software, hardware and design who are pooling our individual talents together to build a legacy. Our team is inclusive, agile, and driven by a common purpose. We are solving real-world problems with machine learning, computer vision, and robotics, with a mindful eye towards the end-to-end user experience. By joining our team, you will help create the first robotic helpers entering our cities: moving alongside us and running our errands!
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
You will design, integrate and maintain solutions to localization and mapping subsystems for autonomous platforms operating in complex outdoor environments. You will be responsible for helping vehicles understand where they are in the world and for constructing frameworks by which vehicles can collectively share information about the world with each other.
- Design, implement, test, and maintain real-time estimation software for localization and mapping of an autonomous vehicle
- Analyze large datasets and work with raw sensor data
- Automate the detection of changes to previously generated maps
- Manage tiling building, and intelligent deployment of maps to our fleet
- Balance research, cross-domain resources and product-driven milestones
- Design novel algorithms and produce robust, well-tested code
- Benchmark and validate navigation systems
- Scale your solutions from prototypes to a large fleet of deployed systems
- Minimum 3 years of relevant industry experience
- Highly skilled in vehicle state estimation and vehicle dynamics modeling
- Experience with pose estimation techniques (homography, structure from motion, VIO, etc.)
- Experience with real-time sensor fusion techniques including probabilistic filters such as EKF / UKF
- Experience with various hardware sensor types and modalities (eg. IMU, lidar, mono cameras, stereo cameras, event cameras, gps, odometry, radar, ultrasonic, etc.)
- Experience with lidar point cloud registration and geometric computer vision
- Experience with C++ programming operating on Linux, with modern tool chains and development work practices
- Experience with autonomous robots
- Experience with real-time sensor calibration and sensor misalignment algorithms
- Experience with techniques or applications for nonlinear optimization (e.g., nonlinear least squares, bundle adjustment, pose graph optimization)
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located in SOMA just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans