Technical Cryptocurrency Researcher at Coinbase
Coinbase is the easiest and most trusted place to buy, sell, and manage your digital currency.
- Job title
- Technical Cryptocurrency Researcher
- Job listing last updated at
- Jan 13, 2020
- Job listing location
- San Francisco, CA
- Job listing source
- Job listing link
- External link
Location: San Francisco, CA
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Our Asset Listing Team helps assess prospective assets that may be integrated into the Coinbase platform for trading and custody. The team works with our various business units and senior leadership analyzing assets across a range of business, legal, and technical dimensions and is critical to driving growth. As a member of this team, you will have the opportunity to research some of the most innovative and impactful projects in crypto.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Investigate prospective cryptocurrencies based on primary research (whitepapers, codebase, Github) and external discussions
- Monitor the progression of projects to pre-launch phase to currently live (i.e., forks, network upgrades, consensus changes)
- Evaluate and model the token economics of different projects
- Conduct diligence on technical aspects of crypto projects, including directly liaising with asset issuers
- Write internal reports that synthesize your learnings
- Explain the value proposition of cryptocurrencies or related technologies to key stakeholders
- Work cross-functionally to educate the legal, compliance, security, engineering and finance teams on all elements of the project
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Demonstrable interest and knowledge of key blockchain and consensus protocols, including advantages, disadvantages, and tradeoffs of various technical and crypto-economic system designs
- Ability to conduct both deep and broad research on different cryptocurrencies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills: great listener with the ability to concisely synthesize complex issues. Ability to translate digital asset information effectively across the organization to compliance, legal, engineering, and executives
- Demonstrated excellence in making informed judgements, and setting priorities in ambiguous situations
- Ability to collaborate with teammates, navigate relationships in both crypto and the broader technology ecosystem, and ensure that entrepreneurs have an excellent experience engaging with Coinbase
- Computer Science degree or experience in software engineering preferred
- 2-4 years of total experience, 2+ years in crypto
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to review all of our job postings to minimize biased language. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.